11/10/2009

Holy shit! My apartment is on Fire!

Last night I was sitting in my room minding my own business when Jes knocked on my door. "Do you smell that?" she asked me before both of us wandered around the living room sniffing, out in the hallways sniffing and finally towards her room.
She went in her room to check on the baby and opened up her closet door, then her bathroom door and smoke poured out.
She moved things away from the heater thinking her bathmat had caught fire but when everything was ok she looked at me, "Fire. We gotta get out."

I Scooped up the the baby, his blanket and stopped in my room to get my Cell phone, Jacket and purse. I ran outside, wrapping the baby in his blanket and my coat. Dressed in basketball shorts, t-shirt and barefoot I wondered just how bad it was going to get.

Jes ran back in 2-3 times to get the diaper bag, cigarettes for both of us and most importantly- shoes for me. We stood there, watching the fire trucks arrive; wondering if we were going to have anything at the end of the night.

It took 6 hours before we were able to get to our parent's houses. 6 hours of watching them tromp around our apartment. 6 hours of tears, laughter and hugs. They had knocked her window out, and cut holes in our ceiling. (We have skylights now.) After it was all over they let us inside to get some things and even though there was no power I could see how damaged and destroyed everything was.

My belongings are pretty much fine since my bedroom was in the back of the building. Jes' bathroom and closet were right next to the fire. Neither of us have Bathrooms at the moment, her closet was gutted and you can see the studs of the building.

I was lucky, and because of that we can rebuild. We can buy new things. What is important is everyone got out safe, even our fish; Cookie. I spent the night at my moms house and even after a large captain and diet (Yes I saved that from the apartment) I still couldn't stop shaking.

It's sunk in a bit more today, but it probably wont be horrifying until I go back there to gather more of my things.

Oh yeah. It was a GREAT Monday.

4 comments:

Wendie said...

Holy shit! Really glad you are alive. When were you planning on moving the hell out of there?

Jen said...

We had three weeks left on the lease. We're getting that back, but its kind of ruined our "Slowly pack and get out.." instead we're not spending ever day Jes has off packing and moving :(

And it smells 100X worse than Poop diapers. And I miss having a baby to play with nightly. :/

Anonymous said...

Where did the fire originate? Was it electrical, in the walls?

Good thing you were both awake at the time. Glad you're all safe!

Fire is terrifying :(

Jen said...

Fire started in the walls, since it was electrical. They think it might have been the exhaust fan from 1A out front, but they aren't 100% certain. But it was electrical, and yes, we are all safe. Life resumes.